Tuesday 27 January 2015

Qwertee - Colouring Stitch...

Since I'm only allowed to use 6 colours within my design (on a lighter shaded T-shirt), I had to adjust certain aspects of my original plans.

For example I wanted to colour the frog in green, but I had already used 6 colours for the rest of the image, so to make it stand out slightly I used the halftone tool on Photoshop.

A problem I encountered with that tool is that the colour appears checkered. In the end I decided that pattern on the frog works well to make him stand out from the waves around him, and I have added little details to the waves too which help the whole image look good as a whole.

After I had decided this, I just had to choose between a lighter or darker shade for the frog's head. The original character has a green head and a lighter stomach, but I couldn't achieve the right shade of the stomach so had to improvise. I tried two shades for the head, a lighter and darker (as shown on the left) and decided the darker looks best.





I also used the halftone pattern on Stitch's shadow on the surfboard and on the lighter shade in his mouth. Both of these worked better than the frog, particularly the lighter shade in the mouth, because it adds an interesting tone to the image and gives it a quirky look.

After applying these qualities to my piece, I think the overall image looks more detailed and full of life, which is how I want this design to look!



No comments:

Post a Comment