Saturday 11 April 2015

Qwertee - Adding the Details to the Mockingjay

Once I had established the base colour of the bird, I could carry on to apply the rest of the colouring and details to the design:

Starting with the top left image, I decided the next stage of the process would be to shade in the bird.

I used the same shade of yellow of that in the background, and a tone of orange, blended together with a soft brush, which gives the image a 3D feel to it.

Like in the original film's image, I wanted to highlight the head and parts of the body, as if they were reflecting the light of a fire in the background. I think this makes the silhouette of the head stand out nicely, especially since it's in the centre of the frame.

Putting a black outline around the bird and circle makes them both stand out compared to the background, despite my use of the same 6 colours; it will also blend in nicely with a dark T shirt, such as black or navy blue.

After the shading of the bird was done, I figured out a way to sort out the background; I took out one of the yellow paint splats and replaced it with an orange one, except with less of it. In my opinion, this works a lot better then my original background, since the yellow doesn't stand out as much, and the fact I used the same colour as I did with shading the bird, all of the colours on here compliment each other well.

I decided to try adding detail to the bird to see if it would look better, which I believe it does. Compared to the blotchy background, the detail in the bird looks good and draws the viewer into the image.

Now that all of the elements on this design are done, I can put it onto a mockup T shirt to submit to Qwertee!







No comments:

Post a Comment