Monday 22 February 2016

Reference Video 1

After working on this dance for two weeks, Rachel was ready for me to record the footage today!

Overall I really like the routine; however it turned out to be 3 minutes 45 seconds long so I had to cut it down, especially if I end up incorporating the aerialist dancer too. There are some sections where she is on the floor and the action isn't quite clear from this camera angle, but I will look closely at those parts as I analyse the film further to see if the should stay in the routine or not.

When asked what the reasoning was behind creating the routine in this way, she explained to me that she used emotions from her own life to express how she felt through dance; using this dance as a general symbol rather than specifically miming her life story.

The overview of her emotions in this piece is representing her feeling lost - in some of the movements incorporated into her routine, she looks behind her or into her surroundings as if hoping someone is there. With little details like this I can use animation to project whats going on in her mind; for example when she turns around I could draw another person in the background, either replicating her dance moves or just watching over her.

The music she used in the background when dancing her routine is called 'Hey There Delilah' by the Plain White Ts. It's an acoustic piece, so it's slow, quiet and relaxing. I want to collaborate with a musician to create an original track for my film, however I'm not sure what kind of music would suit my film the best yet. I'll develop the visual style and make sure I have all of the footage I need, and then I can allow the musician the final month of my project to develop the track whilst I'm animating.

In the edited video there are a lot of jumps where I have cut it, which give me the opportunity for either some nice transactions or for it to fade into the second characters routine - I will establish if I want to use another routine before making any final decisions.

See here for the original 3 minute video.
You can view the edited video here.


No comments:

Post a Comment