Saturday 8 March 2014

Sketchbook Studies

For one of my study tasks, we were asked to keep up a sketchbook with a series of drawings - to help us practice and keep using our skills throughout our time at university.

The one on the left is a sketch I did preparing for 'Environmental Storytelling' in the Leeds city centre, to get an idea of what the task was about. It was a cloudy day, so I shaded with pencil to try and capture the tone of the clouds, and the plane flying past!

I like the texture of the background, but I think it drowns out the lamppost I was originally drawing. I could have changed this by adding colour or drawing it in a different media.


The drawing to the right is another I did for the task 'Environmental Storytelling'. It was more of an experiment with different line work to develop the different textures of the surroundings, rather then a final piece.

I'm glad I took the time to get a better idea of what I needed to include in my task, because eventually I got the courage to experiment with media - other then pencil.






I took this drawing of Ariel as inspiration from an artist Tracey Chung, who draws at her own leisure as well as for clients. I thought it would be a good practice for me to draw faces, hands and the general figure (except the legs obviously!) and drawing something I enjoy as motivation.
I came across a problem when referencing Chung's work - my drawing didn't fit on the page. So instead, I found another picture of Ariel where the tail was standing up, rather then flicking to the side.


http://traceychung.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/fanart.html 

I wanted to try drawing from a photo reference, since I generally find this more challenging. I also had the chance to experiment with shading - using different line work to develop the right textures for the materials.
I think I have managed to show some sort of shading, which I could have developed upon further to make them more defined.







No comments:

Post a Comment