Friday 11 March 2016

Material Tests - Lines on Background

After deciding I like the graphite brush the most, I decided to compare the texture of this brush onto the backgrounds I have experimented with so far, using the same lines on each background. With the blue colour scheme as a basis for these trials, I wanted to compare how the colours work with each other as textures.

Looking at all 6 of these lined up together is interesting, since I can see how much the colours stand out on each compared to each other. On tests 1, 3 and 6, the darker colour stands out a lot more - the tone of this colour on the background compliment each other quite well, despite them all being different shades of blue. The light colour is completely washed out on all three of them - the glow of the blue particularly contrasts with test 1.

However on tests 3, 4 and 5, the lighter colour stands out more. On 4 and 5, the lighter colour has the illusion that it's glowing slightly, which is a similar effect achieved in Glen Keane's 'Duet'. This would make it easier to keep the background consistent if I end up changing the camera angles or end up having close up shots to the character. If I changed the camera angles on a textured background then I would need to repaint those sequences as the camera moves, so that it looks more natural and give the impression that the whole camera is moving. Once I get all of the reference footage and put it all together then I can decide if I need to change the camera angles or not.

Test 1

Test 2

Test 3

Test 4

Test 5

Test 6
Considering all of these images, I think a solid background will bring out the colour of the lines more; it would also be easier to animate over since the colour is consistent, and there's room to provide my own shading if the animation needs it; similar thoughts could be shared with test 6, except with a dark line being the focus. 

I will do animation tests based on tests 4 and 6 to see which moves better, and looks more visually appealing to the audience. I think these two will work best in my final piece because they both have hints of texture, but not too much to make it too complicated or require many changes throughout the film.


No comments:

Post a Comment