Saturday 9 November 2013

Jack in the Box Development

My final idea requires several objects; a box, table and boxing gloves.
So I thought the easiest way to decide what these things will look like would be to draw them out. I couldn't decide what a boxing glove looked like, so drew out several interpretations:


I think the 3rd design looks the best (second from bottom), as it's simple with a cartoony style. I chose this over the others because I prefer the thumb positioned this way, and the simple stitches in the wrist part look better with this design then the crosses.

I then had to think about what other aspects of the film will look like, and what tool I will draw with (not meaning to sound like a builder!) 
Looking in the top left corner of the picture below I used several different media to see which would look best for my animation... And I went with the biro! Because it has the most constant black line, although very similar to the fine liner, I thought the biro would straighten up the edges to my lines.


Going over my other drawings on this page with the biro makes me think I've made the right choice, because it makes the image clear. So I drew different angles of the box, including how it will look damaged, to discover what the lever will look like and figure out in my mind how it will move...
Using the boxing glove designs I created earlier I illustrated my final choice onto this design sheet, and I think it suits well with the style of the other drawings. 
I also need different angles of the table I will have in the background, hopefully to set the right scene. The change in camera angles should keep my film more interesting, and build up a bit of suspense as the lever winds up!

Now that I've decided what it will look like, I'm ready to make the actual film! 


No comments:

Post a Comment