Saturday 9 November 2013

Final Piece - Jack in the Box!

After much planning, persistence, and so many test runs, I managed to finish the final piece! Here it is:



The tests I made before this were moving too fast. This is because on Photoshop I completed the wrong settings, which means the timings on the frames were different to 12 frames per second (which is what I filmed it at!) So when I tried to export the video, it would play really fast.
To change this I saw the little frames at the bottom and changed how long they stay on the screen for, from 0 seconds to 0.08 seconds.



Overall I think I've achieved quite a lot in a short space of time; practicing the pendulum technique with the spinning lever, getting different camera angles, and trying to get the speed right with the movement of the boxing glove.

I used key frames in the sequence with the lever:


Using these frames layered on top of each other on a light box, I was able to work out where the in between frames should be placed. After drawing these 4 frames, I drew a circle around the outside to make sure the lever stayed the same length the whole cycle.

I tried to get the timing so that it would look like it clicked, rather then run smoothly, because I think that would have created a more authentic jack in the box. You can kind of see it, faintly, but the sequence runs too fast to be able to tell.

I used the same frame rate for the scene after, with the high angle of the box, to make it look like the same lever moving. Despite it being shifty - the table not staying in exactly the same place - I think this effect gives the animation a more lively tone to it, rather then just a lever moving:


For the boxing glove sequence, I wish I had created more impact with the glove-on-box, because that would have exaggerated the action further, and maybe made it slightly more comical. However I'm happy with how the glove moves; the speed of it and the little bounce after the impact. If I could go over it again, I would add even more of a recoil to emphasise the overlapping technique:


The concept of the last scene works quite well, as it shows the puppet inside is scared/cautious of what just hit it, so appears for a sneaky peak. I could have made the sequence longer, to show how scared the puppet is, but I think the movement of the eyes works well:



Overall, I'm proud of what I've made in the short amount of time I had to make it! If I could go back on it, I would add sound, just to bring the piece alive! However, I might do once I learn how...
But anyway, back to the present! I practiced some of the techniques and processes I've learnt through the whole project on this task, and I think I pulled them off quite well! I hope you think the same...



No comments:

Post a Comment